Saucy Chef Recipe of the month:
To all our Saucy Chef friends and colleagues, may Gerda and I wish you all the very best for 2013. We trust that your festive season was filled with happiness and that you are now fully charged and ready for the new year ahead.
With our first Saucy Chef course for the year, now only 2 weeks away, please have a good look at the program for the year, and let me know which courses interest you, or what special needs or requests you might have.
As you know, Gerda and I are now living on the farm, and hope to be able to focus more on what the farm has to offer.
Our Recipe Of The Month is one of my old time favourites for this time of the year, with our hot dry days, and particularly, served at lunch time with a good crusty baguette and a bottle of well chilled Sauvignon Blanc.
Traditional salad from Nice – a full meal, for a special occation!
You can’t do better on a hot summers day with your favourite dry white wine, well chilled, and good company!
750g Baby potatoes (boiled until just cooked then peeled and halved – optional)
300g Fine French beans (topped and tailed and blanched in salt water for 3-4 minutes)
1 Butter lettuce (washed and spin-dried)
6-8 leaves Crisp lettuce (washed and spin-dried
about 30 Thinly sliced onion rings
4 Boiled eggs (6-7 minutes / peeled and halved)
12 Rosa tomatoes (small ripe salad tomatoes) (halved)
400g can Tuna (either in brine or oil / should be solid piece) (lightly shredded)
10-12 Anchovy fillets (good quality)
18-24 Black olives (either sun-dried or calamata or a mix of both)
2 tblsp Capers (rinsed, dried and chopped coarsely)
12 Fresh young basil leaves
20 Young roquette leaves about
1-2 tblsp Balsamic vinegar
3-4 tblsp Extra virgin olive oil (best quality)
3-4 cloves Crushed garlic
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Use your creative skills to prepare this salad. Remember that you eat with your eyes as well as your tummy. Go for it!
- Use preferably a large (45cm ø) white platter to set off the contrast of green and all the colours in the salad.
- Arrange the mixed lettuce leaves to cover the platter.
- Now add the tomatoes, baby potatoes, half of the black olives, and half of the French beans in four separate segments on top of the lettuce
- Add the roughly shredded tuna, the onion rings the rest of the black olives, French beans and the capers.
- Arrange the boiled egg halves and the anchovy fillets in a pretty pattern on top of the salad.
- Garnish with the young basil leaves and the roquette and dress with the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and garlic.
- Serve with your favourite, well chilled, dry white wine and a crusty baguette.
- Eat long and slow in good company – Remember, this is a sociable meal!